Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Peonies in a Vase

 "Peonies in a Vase"
pastel, 11 x 14 inches
floral, still life, unframed

With this still life, I wanted to try something with studying color and purposely using specific colors in a painting. I am not sure if I pulled it off or not, but this is my first attempt at setting up a still life for a specific color arrrangement and study. By using the really cool tool called the Gamut Mask on Robinson's website at www.livepaintinglessons.com, I put together the colors that I wanted to use in this painting. There are many different approaches that can be used. Check it out. I definitely will use this tool again. It is something that will get those creative juices flowing.

For this painting, a lot of time was spent in finding colors similar to the chart below and then arranging them into a pleasing still life composition. I hope to try different color combinations in the future by using this tool as a guide.

My reason for using the Gamut Mask is to try to create a more uniform painting with color. One that is pleasing and works. It is just a guide and another tool to add to my artist's toolbox.

 Color Study Used for Pastel

The color arrangement below is one that I did not use.

2 comments:

photo to painting said...

I always love the energy & light in your flower work.It is looking good,glow and You are really doing a beautiful painting.

Portrait Artist

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Thank you for your kind comments!