Thursday, July 14, 2011

Daisies

"Daisies"
size: 8x10 inch
Original oil on panel
Click here to bid on this study. Unframed.

This painting is a study using panels that I cut from a piece of birch plywood and then sanded and gessoed. I wanted a smooth surface so I sanded it between coats of gesso and then put the last coat of gesso on with a flat spatula to eliminate the brushstrokes from panel surface. I will try painting on a few more of these boards to see if it is something that I like or not.

Currently, my preferred surface is an oil-primed linen canvas, but sometimes it is good to experiment with other surfaces. It is too easy to get stuck in the same place and lately I feel like I need to do something more to push myself to another level. Maybe a smoothed surface will be it...or maybe some texture. That will be my next attempt on the next set of boards.

No comments: