Monday, June 13, 2011

Glazing .....or What to Do When All Else Fails

The painting on the left is the result after a quick glazing technique over a few areas of a very dry painting. The photo on the right is what the painting looked like before "playing" with it.
"Clementines"  
oil painting on linen, 16x12 inches
copyright Maryann Cleary

This painting has been difficult to photograph and then it also appeared that places that I really wanted darker and to fade did not. This afternoon I tried to get a better photo of the painting, but after many failed attempts I realized that what I wanted dark was not. A trip to the studio and some thin glazing fixed my problem.

Glazing can be a wonderful tool. When in a class, I actually experimented with this technique with a garish looking painting and then magically putting a thin glaze over it and creating something with depth and color. Magic. The painting really needs to be dry, but a unity can be created with a simple glaze over areas. I did this in several places with Clementines and I am truly pleased with the overall result. For me, it appears more uniform and the crock with the dried hydrangeas now fades into the background.

The areas that I glazed are the one clementine shadow, the area behind the crock, the hydrangeas in the background, the shadow of the main hydrangea, and the background on the left. Subtle changes, but I feel that the painting is more uniform now. I used a very thin glaze and then rubbed the edges with a cloth to help blend them in with the rest of the painting.


No comments: