Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lilacs

Lilacs
size: 12x16 inch, oil on linen canvas
copyright 2010 MaryAnn Cleary

It has been a long time since adding a painting. This is my latest work of lilacs picked from my yard. My favorite flower. It took some time to get this painting finished as other things seemed to interrupt me with the process. Today - no interruptions - so I blazed ahead with the vase of wilted flowers sitting in my studio.....

With this painting, I have added a couple of new colors to my palette - phthalo blue and red rose deep. I really did not think that phthalo blue would be a color that I liked since it is very overpowering and a little bit of it goes a long, long ways. However, to my surprise, it makes wonderful greens and beautiful toned grays. What a surprise. Permanent rose is a perfect addition for those beautiful pink colors that just can't be mixed otherwise.

This week I hope to get outside to do some serious painting.....beautiful weather.

6 comments:

MelissaLouise said...

Beautiful work!

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Thank you, Melissa!

Anonymous said...

Maryann: You make me proud. Your work is amazing. You get better and better! John & Diana

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Thank you so much John & Diana!!

Anna said...

These are one of my favorite flowers too - beautifully executed!

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Thank you, Anna. I look forward to them blooming every spring.