Monday, March 29, 2010

North Shore of MN

Two Island River
8x10 inch, oil on linen board
copyright MaryAnn Cleary


Temperance Valley
12x16 inches, oil on linen
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

What fun! Last week, after meeting up with a friend, we spent the day painting along the North Shore. The first painting is of Two Island River and the railroad crossing over the river. During the rest of the year, I am sure that the water does not gush and bubble like it did that day. The day started out cloudy...and then ended up sunny. Initially, I really wanted to concentrate on warm and cool subtleties of a cloudy day, but Mr. Sun thought a bit of light on the subject matter would be a challenge. It was.

The next painting is of the valley where the Temperance River runs. What a view! Even though it is spring and the trees are not green yet, the contrast of the birch against the evergreens and the red branches of the bushes in the foreground made for a dancing pattern of color. The wind also wanted to help with the painting. There were times where I literally thought that me, the canvas and my umbrella would take off over the valley....thus a fast and furious painting :). The canvas had a transparent red undertone painted on it. This is my first try using something so bright and colorful for a base. Usually, my undertoned canvas is a gray. This seemed to work with a bit of red popping out here and there. This may be the start of something and I would like to try it again when I am not battling with the wind.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Nice blog & good painting. You have beautifully maintained, you must try this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

Susan Roux said...

I love the color palette you used here. Its so romantic...

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Thank you, Susan, for your kind words. I use a prismatic palette mostly with little or no earth colors.