Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Palette Knife Study


"Beach Body ~ A Palette Knife Study & Limited Palette"
original oil painting done on canvas panel, 10 x 8 inch, unframed
copyright MaryAnn Cleary


This is a study in oil using a palette knife as well as a limited palette. This is also for Karin Jurick's site called Different Strokes from Different Folks. I almost did not do this one since I have been gone and just got back from AZ. However, I just could not resist so I did a quick study last night using a palette knife for the main portion and then on top of that, I opted to use a limited palette. The colors used were cadmium red, cadmium yellow (both med.), ultramarine blue and white. That in itself was challenging. My thought for this was to try to capture the essence of a moment at the beach without getting hung up in all the detail. Very difficult for me. A palette knife definitely helps!


3 comments:

dominique eichi said...

the essence of the moment has been captured, well done.

Vern Schwarz said...

Maryann, looks great with this limited palette and you achieved some bold effects with the knife. Nicely done.

Ann Gorbett said...

I love the mood of this painting. Well done.