Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Mannequin Squares


"Mannequin Squares"
conte on a toned paper, 20 x 24 inch
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

This is my version of the latest challenge on "Different Strokes from Different Folks". Needless to say, the photograph was a bit intimidating, but it also inspired several ideas. I decided to do my attempt in conte as I am going back to basics to get my skills in order. That means, a lot more sketching. I now carry a small sketch book in my purse where ever I go to do small quick sketches. I still plan on painting...after all, painting is just sketching with a brush.

Lately, I have been feeling a bit lost with where I want to go with my art....so sketch, woman , sketch. The muse will let you know....

5 comments:

r garriott said...

Very fun! It's like the yearbook page of the popular girls!

Kari Tirrell said...

Very nice, Maryann! I like the way you created order out of that chaotic reference. Like the conte, too. Great job!

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Ah, yes. This challenge was fun.

DEB said...

This is a beautiful conte piece! I haven't worked in that medium since high school...Now you've inspired me to go buy some crayons!

adebanji said...

Lovely work, I alawys like sanguine pieces!