Saturday, February 28, 2009

Virtual Sketch Date ~ Lake Louise



Virtual Sketch Date ~ Lake Louise
original oil painting on canvas board, 8 x 10 inch, unframed
copyright 2009 MaryAnn Cleary


This is a painting for the monthly challenge of the Virtual Sketch Date. This month a photo of Lake Louise was the challenge. I really dreaded this one for some reason, but I figured I had better get my head out of my torso and "just do it". This afternoon when I did the challenge, this is what I came up with. Once I got started at the painting, it seemed to move along. It will be posted on Flickr under our Group called VSD Group.

Next I will continue some work on a commission that I am doing and I will also do the challenge for Different Strokes from Different Folks. I already have an idea for this one that I would like to try as an interpretation of the photo. Check out this week's photo if you want something that is very heady and is near insanity.

More to come! Sorry for the lack of posts this week. I got hit with the flu bug and I have been nursing a bum knee that I some how re-injured. My motivation has been a bit lax because of it.

5 comments:

virtualsketchdate said...

I really like those distant mountains here.

Hope you are soon feeling completely better.

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Thank you!

Stacy said...

MaryAnn, you have a beautiful painting here. I think this reference was well suited for oils. I love the yellow flowers in the foreground.

TeresaW said...

I think lots struggled with this one, I didn't even try it, and it looks to me that the best way is to just have a go. You have shown me the way. Thanks.

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Thanks, Stacey for your comments.

Teresa, I almost did not do it, too. I seem to always struggle with landscapes and finally, I just had to look at shapes and not a landscape. This month was a challenge!