Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Morning Google Snafu and Auctiva Malware Glitch


This morning after being awakened by the neighbor's barking dog, I got up, started the computer, made a pot of coffee and tried to check my gmail account. After 20 minutes and two different attempts of trying to access my gmail account, I received the above message. I tried to find out what the heck was going on. Apparently, gmail was shut down worldwide for more than an hours time. It appears to be back up and running. However, very SLOWLY. I tried opening a note from my daughter and it took several attemps and more than a minute just to get it to open.

On top of that, yesterday when I went to use auctiva.com for checking on an ebay listing and to also list more, I find out that they have been infected with a malware. Apparently, google had them as a malicious site and that is how they found out about it. It also seems to have come from China. The thing is my computer was acting crazy yesterday as I had actually used auctiva to list an eBay item during the prime time of the malware hit. My computer had really slowed down and behaved abnormally. I do have an anti-viral protection. I also use Firefox and that meant I did not get hit as bad as those using Internet Explorer.

To take care of the situation, prior to knowing that auctiva had transferred a malware, I emptied my temp files, did a disk clean and rebooted. That seemed to fix the problems. Only this morning did Auctiva actually send out an email to their users advising them of the situation. Their site is officially down and has been since yesterday evening.

I certainly hope that this is not a sign of things to come.

No comments: