Saturday, January 17, 2009

Three is Company


Three Is Company
original oil on canvas board, 9 x 12 inch, unframed
copyright 2009 MaryAnn Cleary

This painting was done plein aire this past summer. It still needed a little finishing work so after installing another hanging light in my studio, I added the shadows in the chair for the slats. This was done for a summer workshop on the final day. I stood under a huge tree and the morning sun continued to pop out on the grass and chairs.

The past few days I have been reading about art techniques and methods as well as looking at different folks....one might say I am absorbing. I am also trying to survive the wicked, icy, tundra weather that seems to have hit the Midwest. My pipes froze to the shower/tub in my bathroom and I finally managed to get them working again this morning. I love the crispness and the atmosphere of the cold weather...there really is no way to photograph it and to paint outside right now is next to impossible or very difficult. I am opting to stay indoors, crank the little heater up in my studio and paint.

Tomorrow I hope to work on a new painting...another one in my Chinese series. I also plan on writing up a little info on adding light to the studio. It is really very easy.

No comments: