Thursday, January 01, 2009

Street Cook in Shanghai...WIP and Happy New Year


Street Cook in China (this is a work in progress)


Street Cook in China
oil on board on canvas, 14 x 11 inch, unframed
copyright 2009 MaryAnn Cleary

Happy New Year Everyone!!

The above painting is one that I am currently working on. I am doing a figurative series and I am trying to use the limited palette that I started a couple of weeks ago. However, there are some places where I would love to pop in a bright color, but I am controlling myself so far. This is forcing me to have a more uniform painting in color as well as mixing up the colors - or close to - what I am trying to achieve. This painting is about half way finished in the first pic...the left side more complete than the right. The background still needs jars and stuff on the shelves and the figure itself still needs work. The bottom one is where I am at now. I will leave this one for a couple of days and then see how I like it.

This is being done from a photo that I took during my stay in China....yes, I did eat the street food there. It was usually the spicey stuff on a stick...fish, chicken and beef (well, that is what they said it was, but sometimes it is better to not ask). My favorite food while living there were the fried dumplings with a little vinegar and soy sauce. I also enjoyed lotus root (another favorite) stir fried with a little ginger or sometimes stuffed with sticky rice.

Today I long for some good Chinese food, but finding a GOOD restaurant is about as easy as finding good Mexican food in Minnesota (although I did find a good one in Rogers, MN). Not easy and the things that I do find are the typical American type.

Happy New Year everyone! Now to get to that list of resolutions.......


1 comment:

thepeacefulpeacock said...

I LOVE this!! Beautiful!