Monday, January 19, 2009

The Girl in the Red Coat



Girl in the Red Coat
conte on a toned paper, approx. 8.5 x 11 inch, no mat or frame
copyright 2009 MaryAnn Cleary

Yesterday, I decided to start a series of charcoal drawings on paper of portraits. They will be portraits of folks that I have met in my travels or portraits of flowers, pets, or other things that move me. I typically use two to three different colors of conte, but I am trying to limit myself just to one and maybe one for accent.

This portrait is of a little girl that was walking behind me in one of the Suzhou parks. She had an oversized red coat on and had that expressive face of a child. Being a foreigner in China, always brings strong stares. I grabbe a photo of her as we climbed the rocks in one of the parks.

Later today, I will grab some photos of my cheap, studio lights that I put up. My studio gets indirect light, but I typically paint when it is also dark and I needed some lights that did not make the colors off. Check back for my solution.

No comments: