Monday, December 22, 2008

Trying a New Painting Method


The Mischievious One
original oil, 8 x 8 inch, unframed, $45
copyright MaryAnn Cleary 2008

Goodness the weather is cold here! I am wondering if it is going to stay like this the entire winter. If it does, I may just need to hole-up in my little log house with the wood stove blazing away.

While I was enjoying the warm weather of Cabo San Lucas, I did do some reading about different artists. In one article that I read, an artist had done a painting that was done using burnt sienna and maybe something to darken it. This got me thinking about using two of my favorite colors, an Indian red and a pthalo blue. They are complimentary to one another and fun to use for painting. For this painting, initially I put a wash of the blue on the canvas and then began drawing using both the blue and Indian red. When I wanted to darken an area, using both of the paints mixed together did the job nicely. Then when I wanted to add highlights, I either pulled the paint off of the canvas or added white to the blue or red. It really added a nice touch.

In the future, I plan on doing more with this technique. It is nice to limit the palette and see how far one can take the painting. I enjoy using the paint transparently and seeing the canvas.

No comments: