Saturday, November 22, 2008

November VSD (Virtual Sketch Date)

Final Version
The November VSD, original oil painting, 10 x 8 inch, unframed
copyright 2008 MaryAnn Cleary

Stages of the painting process.....
This is my month's virtual sketch date interpretation. I decided to do it in oil and I just started and finished it this evening. As I look at it I do see some issues, but I will "sleep on it" before fiddling with it. The colors in my monitor are fairly close, but I still have problems trying to match everything exactly (depending on your monitor of course). It definitely looks better in real life. Lately I seem to be having issues with my painting as I develop my style. I feel like I am like a little bird gathering bits and pieces to build my nest....except sometimes things tend to just not fit. Parts of the painting just seem to click and then some parts just seem to be a bit dysfunctional or at odds with one another. The branch that is going up behind the main large trunk seems to be a bit confused. I will work on it tomorrow and I am thinking to just make the thing disappear with more focus on the main trunk and adding leaves and sky.......the colors, by the way, do look much better in life.

Note: I did work on the painting this morning and I do like the subtle changes that I made. I left the original version so that others could see my "dysfunction". I did place more emphasis on the main trunk and let the other one fade. I also added more color (a dark orange) to play off of the values and to try and tie the painting together.

This photo was a challenge. I love the high contrast, but the light seemed to be shining directly from above and this did make it a challenge with defining form and shape of the trunk. A good challenge.

Thanks to the folks who put this together!! Check out the site for all the other postings and interpretations. http://www.virtualsketchdate.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

virtualsketchdate said...

I love the effect you've created with the oils here - almost like a watercolor. Nice palette too - adds a feeling of mystery.

Sherry said...

I see we're practically neighbors! Your oil is luscious, luminous and rich. It has been so exciting to me to see all these interpretations of the sun dappled tree. I wish I could see each in "real life."
Sherry

Nithya Swaminathan said...

Love this one. Great use of colors, and thank you for sharing the process. Great work.

Jo Castillo said...

Beautiful rich color. Looks good enough to eat!