Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Awesome Week in Grand Marais!!!


original oil painting of waves at Grand Marais, MN
oil on canvas on panel, 8 x 10 inches, created during the plein air event
copyright MaryAnn Cleary
SOLD

This painting is one of many created last week during the plein air event held by the Art Colony at Grand Marais. This painting did not win any awards, but it was the first one sold!! A delightful woman from Thunder Bay, Canada was the lucky person who purchased this painting. It actually was my favorite of the many that I painted last week. That day I was out to paint rocks...they are beautiful in that area...but the waves captured my spirit. It was a cloudy day and the weather "iffy" so the waves of Lake Superior mimicked those conditions. They would come in with a fury and splash against the rocks, trying to make their way.

I am so glad that this one found such a good home. Tomorrow I will post more of my endeavors of last week. I really enjoyed it. In reality, this was my first time actually painting outside where I was not involved with a workshop and I was strictly on my own. I must tell you that I am addicted and I can only see improvement in the future. This painting looked so much nicer in person....it just had the magic......the rocks were wet from the waves, reflecting the glistening bluish-grey glaze of the sky.

No comments: