Thursday, August 07, 2008

A Precious Moment



"A Precious Moment"
charcoal drawing on paper, 16 x 16 inch, unframed
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

This is one of those drawings that I enjoyed doing immensely. I truly miss drawing the human figure and one of my most favorite subjects is a mother and her child. My favorite medium is charcoal and not just charcoal, but charcoal on Rives BFK paper. The two together are heavenly.

I have no idea why I do not do more drawings using charcoal. I have been trying to stick with just oil painting, but sometimes it is best to utilize what is best and what feels comfortable for the end result. In the future, I will try to use the medium that I feel appropriate and the one that meets the needs of what I am trying to draw or paint. What is best for accomplishing the end result! To tell you the truth, I love charcoal, I love colored pencil, I love watercolors and I love oil....so why not use the most appropriate medium to get what is needed accomplished? I have been trying to fit into a tiny box of "one must develop a body of work that is consistent and similar". That is definitely a good idea. However, one can do that, but it can be a series of charcoal drawings, a series of watercolors, a series of oil paintings...... sometimes it may be best not to limit the options available.

Another thing that I just found out is that there is life drawing at several sights in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. It will mean driving, but I do miss drawing from a model. I also found a place in Minneapolis that is called Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School. I must try and attend at least one of these. It is held at a club where one can draw from models not normally found in the typical studio environment...burlesque dancers, roller derby girls to belly dancers...and I can have a glass of wine. It sounds very interesting and fun. There is also a life drawing studio in White Bear Lakes that is a bit closer. I hope to be able to go to that one as well.

For now, enjoy and please feel free to comment.

1 comment:

thepeacefulpeacock said...

Good for you, Mom!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT to see some of those drawings from the Anti-Art school--it sounds too good to miss.