Saturday, August 09, 2008

Freaking Out....or How Does One Make a Living....


"Precious Moments"
charcoal drawing (framed & the plexiglass is acting as a magnet-the sun was shining in the window) and a print using my new printer
copyright MaryAnn Cleary


Work, Sweetie, work!

This past week I have been busily printing out small and medium sized prints of my photographs using my new Epson printer - 0ne of those ones that has pigmented ink and one that can do a larger format using a variety of papers!

I must say that I am very pleased with the performance thus far. I am still on a learning curve, but I am a quick learner. I have found that the Epson papers sometimes do perform a bit better - not for all, but I did try using an acid free card stock in colors...probably a mistake when learning...and then I purchased some of the Epson presentation paper (heavyweight). It has a coating on it that does make a huge difference in the colors! So for cheap papers for cards or whatever, it is worth getting the Epson paper. The colors are much more vivid. The cost per paper is around $0.23 versus acid free card stock of around $0.13 or so.

I have used other glossy papers though and found the results very good though. So for photographic papers it seems that a substitute is ok with similar results.

However, the best part and the main reason that I purchased this printer is due to the black and white reproductions! I just finished up "The Precious Moment" charcoal and of course, I needed to see what would happen! Wow! Delightful! A true black and white! No bluish tints! A real black and white with real blacks! I used a Somerset velvet cotton rag (acid free) paper and I really liked the results.

Off to mat up some photos.... and work on the 29-Day project ... and the daily painting..... or maybe sit back, have a glass of wine and read "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. What an incredible human being. You may want to check out his lecture if you have not seen it.

No comments: