Friday, August 01, 2008

Capturing a Moment...a Hawk


Hawk in Flight
photograph
copyright MaryAnn Cleary



Hawk Checking the Area
photograph
copyright MaryAnn Cleary


Today was a no painting day.

Late this afternoon as I was coming back from town, I decided to take a drive to the local state park that is very near my home. The sun was setting and I had planned on trying to get some photos of wildflowers and cattails and just enjoy the delightful summer evening. Walking along the path back to my car, I heard that destinct cry of a bird of prey. I looked up there was a gorgeous hawk circling out from some nearby trees.

Thankfully, I had my camera and the zoom lens on it. My first few photos that I took caught the hawk in flight, but they also looked like a black dot on a blue background. The bird was just too far away. The hawk circled out and around many times and finally perched on a tree in the not-too-far distance. I decided to try to see how close I could get before the hawk took off again in flight. I actually made it within 50 feet or so from the tree where the hawk had perched before bird took off again in flight. I am so glad that I have a camera where I can snap several pictures quickly without much lag time between shots. I probably ended up with 10-15 shots of the hawk in flight.

Here are a couple of photographs that I took. This is my first time being able to capture a hawk this close with my camera. Neither of the photos have been cropped - just some light and color adjustment. What a fantastic afternoon!

No comments: