Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Art Colony and Grand Marais, MN

This week I am off to the beautiful area of Grand Marais on Lake Superior. It is a 4-5 hour drive from my house and filled with wonderful sites along the way. This week the Grand Marais Art Colony is sponsoring its 6th Annual Plein Air Painting Competition. This will be a first for me and it is a wonderful excuse to get out and paint in an area that I love. I am rather new at this, but I have my paints packed and my canvases ready to go.

The Art Colony is the oldest art organization in Minnesota. I did some checking on their website and they really are geared to the artist. They actually have a real printing press for those who would love to try printing. One can actually rent time to use it. I do wish that I lived closer.

This week there will be many events going on with the plein air competition. A guest speaker, Albert Handel, will be talking at the Old Playhouse Theatre. He is one of the countries leading pastel artists.

I hope to update my experiences during the week.....that is if I can find an internet connection. I will be staying in a cabin so my chances won't be great.

No comments: