Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Tree Faeries ~ Nico's portrait



The Tree Faeries
original oil painting on canvas board, 9 x 12 inches, unframed
copyright 2008 MaryAnn Cleary

This little portrait of my grandson is complete, or at least for the moment. One reaches a point where it is time to just put the painting aside and take a step back....and do not touch it. Tomorrow I will take a better photo of it in daylight versus the setting sun light. The colors are fairly true...at least on this monitor. I am realizing that there is a big variation in monitors.

I finally settled upon a title for this painting. My grandson was staring up into the trees and was so mesmerized by the tree faeries dancing among the leaves. It was like they were having a party dancing from one branch to another.... dancing and keeping his short attention span much longer than usual.

One of my passions is portrait painting, but it has been some time since I have "painted" one even though when I lived in Arizona there was a group of us who regularly got together and painted from a model. Children are especially delightful to paint...capturing the very essence of who they are.

If anyone is interested in portraiture, Making a Mark is starting a great resource for portraits.

No comments: