Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cat Planter


Cat Planter on the Porch
oil painting on linen art board, 6 x 8 inch, unframed
copyright 2008 MaryAnn Cleary

Today I did plan on just lounging on the deck in my hanging chair, reading a book and sipping a tall glass of cool lemonade. No deer flies, mosquitoes, or pesky bugs. The sitting and reading phenomena lasted about thirty minutes. No bugs!! Time to try out my new plein air easel.

Next month I am taking a workshop from Marc Hanson, an artist who lives only not too far from me in Taylor Falls, MN. I can hardly wait as it has been some time since taking any classes or workshops. Marc's style and paintings are great. Take a look at his blog as he just posted a few new ones.

Well, it took a few moments to set everything up and I am so glad that I spent the extra dollars and got one that is lightweight yet durable. Mine is an Easyl by Art Essential. If anyone would like photos of my set up, please leave a comment and I will be happy to share them on a post. For the palette, I am trying a piece of Plexiglas with the back painted grey. I usually use a piece of plate glass since it is easy to use a razor blade to scrap off the old paint, even it is dried onto the palette. Plexiglass is not so easy to scrape with a razor blade I am finding....it likes to dig into the plastic. I did get the palette cleaned off after painting today, but it took more effort than I liked. I may just build a little box and use plate glass for the palette. I have a large one (glass and box), but it is not some that is easily toted around.

The painting that I did today was of a planter on my deck. I really enjoy this planter as it reminds me of my cats enjoying the sunshine and themselves lounging on the deck. The planter is a terra cotta clay type and has a small space for flowers. I wanted this painting to be impressionistic, but it did give me fits. I finally needed to stop and just set it aside. I may try doing the same planter using charcoal or watercolors, just for fun. For now though, the oil painting is what it is.

Thanks for looking....now back to reading that book and lounging in my hanging chair.

No comments: