Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The View from My Studio ~ Spirit River


The Spirit River
"a view from my studio window"
original oil painting on canvas board, 8 x 10 inches, unframed
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

This is the view that I have from my studio window. I finally have my easel and paints moved into the room, but it is still a bit disorganized with things waiting to find a place. This room makes a wonderful studio as it is on the lower level of my log home and is totally separate from the living space.

The river has finally began to recede. All of us who live here were a bit worried with the rising waters, but fortunately we have not had any rain in the last couple of days. Rumor had it that the Mississippi River would hit an all time high record level. What that meant to us who live on the Rum River (aka the Spirit River) is that our chances of seeing record high levels were also high. The river is still well below the record high of a few years ago. However, while I was gone, my neighbor lost another two trees and this spring I lost three trees. The yellow color in the center of the painting is where one of the early fallen trees is lying in the river and this would be where the edge or bank of the river is under normal conditions.

One of the neighbors has a tape measure nailed to a tree marking that high water level of a few years ago. Needless to say we still have several feet to go to reach that level. At that time, my neighbor actually had to sandbag his property. Mine was just at the edge of the high level. We still have a few days to wait it out, and hopefully, the river will recede to more normal levels that we are accustomed to seeing this time of year.

It is also so good to be back home and painting again. Last week I flew to Phoenix, Arizona where I enjoyed temperatures in the 110's degrees (not really, but at least it was sunny and not rainy). I actually did some work with my "other" parttime job as an engineer.

This painting is available for bidding on ebay. It is done from life from my studio window. If anyone has any comments or questions, please feel free to leave a comment on my blog or email me.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Alison Fennell Illustration said...

Utterly delectable paintings - you handle paint and tones masterfully - very soothing and satisfying to look at - thanks for sharing - Alison