Friday, June 27, 2008

Peonies

PEONIES
original oil painting on linen canvas board, size 10 x 8 inch, unframed
copyright 2008 MaryAnn Cleary
What a week!! Last Monday, a friend gave me a call on 2 in the afternoon. She asked what I was doing and if I would like to join her on an "escape" to Duluth. I had an hour to get ready. She came by at 3 that afternoon to pick me up.
I had the peonies cut and put into a vase. They were ready to be painted, but my friend had other plans for me. Needless to say, I absolutely enjoyed the trip to Duluth. It is beautiful this time of year and we even managed to get a game of golf into one afternoon. Duluth is one of those places that reminds me of my home town, Butte, MT, where I grew up. It is hilly and the climate is very similar...the lilacs were just blooming. Duluth has an advantage, though, as there is Lake Superior right at their doorstep. What views this city has and what options for those of us who love the outdoors. I feel fortunate in that it is only an hour and a half away from my home...to bad the price of gas is putting a crimp into traveling for fun. However, I do plan to get away at least one or two more times this summer to that beautiful city. There is the Blues Festival coming up.......
Enjoy the painting! This one is more on the impressionistic side. I also used a pallette knife to "glob-on" paint in certain areas. Please feel free to leave a comment (good or otherwise).

No comments: