Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Yard Flower from a Tree


Yard Flower
original oil on linen canvas on board, 4" x 5", unframed
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

This painting was a bit of a challenge to do. I had picked a flower from one of the small trees growing along the river today. I thought that it would be fun to paint. However, I had to be quick as the darn thing began wilting rather quickly under a lamp. For this painting I actually painted in the light area first and then quickly did the dark high contrast values. It still didn't feel right so I took the small palette knife and re-did the leaves. After that I scraped off the flower with the palette knife and re-did it. This is a lot looser than what I normally work, but it was challenging and fun.

Thanks for looking...comments are welcomed.

No comments: