Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Colored Egg Radishes


Colored Egg Radishes
original oil painting on canvas on board, 6" x 8"
copyright MaryAnn Cleary


What fun! Today when shopping at the local food co-op, I found these most interesting radishes. They are rather large and different colors. As I was checking out the woman looked at me and said these look just like Easter eggs. She had never seen such things as I had not either. She guessed their name correctly.

With this painting, it is a slightly larger format with it being 6" x 8". It seems large after doing so many 4" x 6" ones. I really wanted to try to just block in shapes and contrasts and work rather loose except with slightly more detail on the radishes. As with most paintings, I really don't know if a like it or not. When I reach this point, I usually stop and set the painting aside as this is when I can really start re-working it and then it will be lost. Tomorrow I will know if some adjustments need to be made when I can look at it with fresh eyes and ones not so critical as they seem to be right now.

Tomorrow....a salad with colored radishes. I wonder what they taste like and if they are any different than normal radishes. Has anyone ever seen or eaten these type of radishes?

2 comments:

Mama J said...

I love this painting! Those radishes are cute little buggers, and the ones that I've had taste the same. :-)

MaryAnn Cleary said...

I did make a slight change to it this morning as I felt the dark corner on the left was pulling the eye out of the painting....I'll post the photo later today when I post the one for today's painting.

I plan on making a salad today to try out the radishes!