Friday, May 30, 2008

Apple Blossoms


Apple Blossoms in a Glass
original oil painting on canvas artboard, 8 x 8 inches, unframed
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

The apple blossoms are blooming...finally. To make this painting challenging, I tried to keep the background light colored. I had problems with the flowers wanting to fade into the background though, so I ended up darkening it just a touch and then I also used a palette knife on the flowers. With this painting, I wanted to keep parts of it fairly loose and concentrate on the light and dark areas of the leaves and shadows. There is an interesting play with the shadows as they shine through the glass providing a nice display of lights and darks.

This is one of those paintings that I also need to put away before I totally ruin it. Also, the mosquitoes are out in force the last couple of days. One landed on the painting and had trouble getting loose. I thought of just leaving the little bugger there as a reminder that when the apple tree blooms also the mosquitoes hatch.....the Minnesota variety that are big enough to be the state bird.

Today my neighbor and I set up my mosquito magnet. One of those things that produces carbon dioxide and attracts and then traps them. It will take a few days, but they really do work.

Thanks for looking. This painting is available.

No comments: