Friday, April 25, 2008

Chinese Chop and Red Ink - SOLD



Chinese Chop and RED Ink
original oil painting on canvas on artist board, 4"x6"
copyright MaryAnn Cleary


SOLD
This is a Chinese chop that I bought while I was living in China. The mark carved in the bottom of it is the symbol of the Chinese character for tiger. Since I was born in the year of the tiger, I thought it would be nice to have a chop with that symbol. I also have several others that I had carved with my Chinese name into it as well. The chop is the same as one's signature. My favorite is one that another artist made for me. That was an interesting exchange as neither of us spoke the other's language, but it is amazing what one can accomplish with body language and words even if they are in a different language. This artist actually was quite skilled in doing the Chinese characters with a brush....not an easy thing to make happen skillfully and quickly. I have pictures of him carving and he also gave me one of his catalogs....he was trying to tell me that he had won awards for his accomplishments.

My name translates easily into Chinese with just a slightly different pronunciation. If anyone would like more info or would like to see some of my other chops, please let me know. I would be happy to show you with photos.

This chop is actually made of a crystal and I had to wait a day as it had to be carved elsewhere and not with hand tools. If anyone would like to purchase this painting before I put it on ebay, please email me at info@maryanncleary.com.

No comments: